Wednesday, July 16, 2008

F.E.A.S.T

Families Empowered and Supporting Treatment of Eating Disorders
http://feast-ed.org/

This is the synopsis from the website: "FEAST is a nonprofit organization of and for parents and caregivers to help loved ones recover from eating disorders by providing information and mutual support, promoting evidence-based treatment, and advocating for research and education to reduce the suffering associated with eating disorders."

This is a new organization supporting the families of children with eating disorders. I am already a member. There is a wealth of information and support available on the site. They have links which include services, research, insurance, treatment resources, and a support forum for parents and other caregivers. They are poised to be huge advocates for change in both political and media arenas.

In some ways, the FEAST website is a lot like I hope to see this site - a compilation of the best information and support out there.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good morning Wendy,
I have not have any sleep lately, I'm just worried sick about my 18 year old boy. He is 6'tall and weighing maybe 120lbs. I hope anyway. He looks like he may weigh less then that. I know last week he was weighing 120lbs, his dad made him get on a scale for him. We have tried to tell him that he is way too skinny for his height and that being a vegetarian was also going to make him skinnier. His dad and I have been battling his sexuality with him and I think he being anorexia has a big play in this as well. I'm going to get this book and see about first helping him with his eating disorder, we don't want to lose him over this. This is our battle and not his alone. As far as the other thing, my son will have to figure it out himself. I can only hope and pray that does not become a homosexual. I have too many male members in my family that have died of aids. Yes, Wendy they were gay men and I'm just worried sick over this one too. We just buried my cousin will be a year ago this month and he was only 40. Seeing my aunt the way she suffered only makes me feel worried for my son. How will I handle all of this. I don't want to lose my son to either one of these diseases. Wendy thanks for listening and keep my son Jake in your prayers.
Sincerely,
ML

Wendy said...

ML,
Thanks for sharing your story about Jake. I will remember him in my prayers. I highly recommend the forums at http://aroundthedinnertable.org. There are so many parents there that share and help each other. Tell your story -- and they'll give you lots of experienced advice. There is help out there for your son. I hope you can find a good doctor in your area.
Wendy